The biggest barrier to achieving optimal wellness for your unique body can sound like this:
“You have to go to the gym everyday” ”
You’re falling behind”
“You need to do this perfectly”
Who else has had these thoughts, too?
“You shouldn’t have eaten that”
“Why is your cellulite so gross? You’ve got to get this under control.”
“I hate my body. My body won’t do what I want it to do.”
“If I slip up once, I’ll lose everything I worked hard for.”
My mind has told me all of these things, too…
…Until I realized that I was poisoning my body with my own thoughts!
And that was the biggest barrier to truly feeling well.
Shifting my mindset was one of the biggest steps forward in improving my overall wellness.
That’s why I’ve got 5 mindset shifts for you to support optimal wellness for your unique body:
- Healthy looks different for every body.
– We could all eat and exercise in exactly the same way and we would still have different bodies.
– In the same way that a healthy olive tree looks very different from a healthy apple tree it’s important to remember that healthy comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Your body is on your team.– From the moment you were created, your body has been there for you with the primary focus of keeping you alive.
– Every craving or symptom you experience (even the annoying ones like headaches) are simply ways your body is speaking to you. Hunger tells us we need food, fatigue asks us for rest, and pain calls for loving attention.
- When trying harder isn’t working, try softer
– Consider and area of your health and wellness that feels out of alignment. When you’re trying so hard, your whole body feels clenched, constricted, and tighter. Your thoughts reflect the way your body physically feels. Imagine pausing, taking a breath, allow body to soften and expand.
– Trying softer in exercise can look like going for a nice long walk or doing yoga.
– Trying softer in relationships can look like not sending that extra text and just giving them the space and seeing if they come to you…
- Progress over perfection– Perfection is an illusion so whenever we’re striving for it, we’re walking a path that never ends and prevents us from feeling “enough”.
– Perfection can also prevent us from getting started at all. If you have an idea of what a perfect workout looks like but you only have 15 minutes or just feel like going for a walk you’re likely to do nothing at all rather than working with what you’ve got.
- The thoughts you have are equally as important as what you eat or how you exercise.
– We have approximately 6,200 thoughts every day.
– You can eat all the best foods and move your body every day but if your mind is filled with self doubt, fear, stress and judgement…it will impact your wellbeing.
– The thoughts you carry impact your biochemistry which ultimately shapes your entire being.
– The great news is our mind is like plastic and with conscious effort and tools we can reshape the direction our thoughts naturally flow.
For more tools to support your wellness tune into the Raw Beauty Talks podcast.