When we think of self-care, we often think of massages and pedicures. Although these can be great, and are very necessary at times, there are more elements that are important when it comes to getting the proper self-care and lovin’ we all so badly need (AND DESERVE!!).
Some of the most important self-care activities are those that tend to be the more mundane needs of the body: getting enough sleep, drinking lots of water, eating healthy food, and getting some exercise.
It’s important to do self-nurturing things like spending time alone, reading a good book, or savoring a gorgeous sunset. But we mustn’t forget to take care of our physical bodies and their basic needs. Trust us when we say, if we do not listen to these basic needs, we end up getting sick, feeling anxious, and not being able to show up as our best selves – and that’s no fun at all.
So with all that being said, we invite you to broaden your definition of self-care, and to think of it not as an indulgence, but as a necessary form of scheduled maintenance. And to help you on this journey, we have listed 5 ways that we practice self-care for our bodies below!
1. Nourish your body from the inside + out. This is so key when it comes to self-care and feeling like the best version of you. Make sure to balance out your blood sugar levels by eating a combination of carbs, protein and fats every two to three hours to prevent your blood sugar levels from dropping too low. If and when they do, you’ll see yourself searching for the fastest energy you can find, which usually means you’ll reach for something high in sugar and refined carbs. On that same note, don’t forget to stay hydrated! We know this can be tough, especially since we are all so busy and that next jolt of java seems to be the number one priority, BUT the habit of hydrating still needs to be at the top of your list if you’re really serious about embracing self-care into your life. Invest in a water bottle you love (we are keen to a classic Swell) or add in some extra natural flavour to your water jug like lemon & mint or fresh berries!
2. Get that Vitamin D, hunny! Ok, okay don’t get us wrong here – we don’t mean to literally go outside and lay out in the sun with the baby oil (ps- can you believe we used to all do this!?) – what we mean here is to make sure you’re getting your recommended daily dose of vitamin D by getting outside! We know how hard it can be during the winter months, especially for those of us with desk jobs. So if you’re not able to get outside as much as you would like, make sure you’re at least supplementing with vitamins.
3. Move your body. We know this is such a no-brainer, but exercise does SO much for your mental, physical, and emotional well-being. Whether it’s a walk around the block, a yoga class, a hike with a gal pal, or a full on spin class – get your body moving and get those endorphins flowing. You won’t regret it, and neither will your body AND your mind. In addition to exercising, make moving a part of your day. Get a standing desk at work, take the stairs whenever possible, or have a 10-minute dance jam with your kids when you get home. These little moments of movement can nourish your body.
4. Make space to pamper your body. This is one that we know a lot of people struggle with – they feel guilty around it and usually can’t justify it. Well, we are here to tell you, that’s it’s perfectly A-OK to indulge in things that make you feel good. So yes, book your pedi/mani appointment, get your hair done and please, get a massage – not just on your birthday, but whenever the heck you feel like it.
5. Take an afternoon nap – just because. You won’t regret it.
We hope you can add some of these self-care routines for your bodies into your day-to-day. Make sure to keep us posted on how you’re doing and tag us in all your practices using the hashtag #RawBeautyTalks
-Team Raw Beauty. xo