Photo from @design_lovers_of_ig
If self love is an action we take to honour the unique individual that we are and the home that we live in – our body – it only makes sense to become more mindful about the products we are using for beauty, personal care and within our household. There are over 10,500 unique chemical ingredients used in our personal care products – some of them you can eat and some of which are known or suspected carcinogens, toxic to the reproductive system or known to disrupt the endocrine system.
I started detoxing our home when I was pregnant with James in 2015 and I still haven’t found alternatives for everything. I take an “everything in moderation” approach to detoxing products in the same way that I eat food. I still use L’Oreal mascara and eat Oreos because they make me really happy. I don’t think you need to part with products you absolutely love but if you can move towards cleaner products in some areas great! Here are some tips on becoming more mindful with the products you use…
Tips for Detoxing Your Beauty Routine
- Only replace items as they run out. Shifting to cleaner products shouldn’t break the bank and I never want to promote waste (unless you’re having bad reactions to the products you are currently using!) so just pick-up an alternative when your current option starts to run out.
- Use the Think Dirty app or EWG’s Skin Deep online program to learn more about the products you are using. Some of them might be great (it’s hard to tell just by reading the labels) and won’t need to be replaced. Think Dirty also provides recommendations from users so you can read the reviews to learn more about alternative options.
- In terms of products, most people I spoke to recommended switching out your deodorant first as we use it daily in a sensitive area that is right near our lymph nodes and our breasts. Traces of parabens (often used as a preservative) have been found in breast tissue. My favourite is Agent Nateur in Holi Rose.
- Next look at the items that you use everyday that could be absorbed by your skin – body lotion, sunscreen, foundation etc. and try to source alternative options.
- Check out our list of skincare product favourites that I’ve fallen in love with since I started to dive into this world. Body products we love HERE. Face, hair and sun-safe product suggestions coming soon.
Do you have tips for people who want to be more mindful about the products that they are using? Share them below and we’ll add them to the list, crediting you! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.